It's been three months since I arrived in Uganda. There are still so many things to discover, but so many new experiences.
I've found my place at school; all the teachers, therapists, and other workers are incredibly kind and helpful. Of course, it hasn't been all plain sailing, overcoming the language and cultural barriers wasn't easy at first, but after three months, everything is settling in and now I'm learning a few phrases in the local language to better communicate with the children with low cognitive skills, such as "tula" which means "sit" or "jjangu" which means "come", but my favorite word is "okoze bulungi" which I use a lot during therapy to say "well done!" and seeing the happiness in their eyes when I speak to them in the local language is priceless.
In the past few weeks I have completed the first microfinancing project on "health safety and hygiene" in therapy spaces; thanks to Möndo we purchased 20 litres of sanitiser and disposable gloves for the school and I have held a training course on the correct methods of sanitizing of the space, the shared objects and the risk of cross-contamination.
I'm already sad at the thought of having the other three months to live here and at the same time I can't wait to live them and discover what this wonderful country has to offer me.
No comments :
Post a Comment