Monday 24 June 2024

Halfway done, halfway to go

 

It's been a while...


What’s been happening here in Uganda in the meantime?


At work, most of my time is spent conducting digital competency training courses. In May, I began working with two organizations: Mengo Youth Development Link (MYDEL) and Community Empowerment for Village Development (CEFOVID). Throughout the course sessions, we covered various topics such as Google tools, safety and privacy, and online opportunities, and much more aiming to enhance smartphone proficiency. Last week, the training course concluded with CEFOVID, and the week before that with MYDEL. 

CEFOVID group



MYDEL group



So far, I feel this initiative has had the most significant impact on the local community that I've managed to create.

However, days vary; some are more challenging, while others leave me with a sense of satisfaction after completing a session. Next, I'll be starting with two other organizations: Centre for Special Abilities (CeSA) and UPA Central Branch, with a week's break in between.


Data collection by using semi-structured interview

Additionally, I'm gradually collecting data for impact assessments to understand the contribution of international volunteers to local host projects in Uganda. For this, I use semi-formal interviews as a method of data collection. This is also one of my main aims that I want to accomplish by the end of my deployment. Throughout my professional life, I have mainly focused on quantitative research, and to broaden my skills, I wished to apply my knowledge to qualitative research. Somehow, it has always piqued my curiosity how people perceive and describe different topics.



Initially spending more time in the office, these activities have now allowed me to move around different organizations. I think it’s great because it aligns with one of my initial aims: to have the opportunity to visit different places, organizations, and meet new people.

Meanwhile, I've reached my three-month milestone in Uganda. Time indeed flies, making me wonder if I'm managing to accomplish all the tasks during my deployment. It sometimes feels rushed, and recently, I've found myself forgetting to enjoy the moment. 


Chips enjoying life



Outside of work, I've learned many lessons. For the longest time, I stuck to Plan A. Uganda has taught me the importance of having Plan B, C, and maybe even D, as unexpected situations can arise. It’s crucial to remain flexible and adapt accordingly. While I considered myself calm and flexible before, the situations here have tested and strengthened those traits even further.




"When it rains, it pours," they say. Life in Uganda pauses during heavy rains. Transport, such as boda bodas or taxis, can become impractical at times. Thankfully, these rains usually come and go quickly.


Traditional clothes for wedding.
Making ciabattas

Kampala continues to surprise me. There are days when I struggle to be punctual, something that might not be very common for me. But that's life in Uganda – you never know what's there for you.

Until next time!


Kaisa




No comments :

Post a Comment