Thursday 18 April 2024

The new normal and the very first times in Uganda


Hello everyone, my name is Kaisa and I'm here in Uganda for six months as a volunteer monitoring, evaluation, and communication officer as a part of the Uganda Pioneers' Association (UPA) team. 


I touched down at Entebbe Airport early morning, feeling apprehensive about what lay ahead. After a sleepless night and a glimpse of Kampala's hectic transport, I wasn't sure what to expect. But as soon I met Samuel who picked me up from the airport and as I arrived at Villa Mamu, where I was staying, and later on, when I met the other team members at the office, this feeling vanished.


My primary objective is to assist UPA with various data-related tasks. Some of my tasks will include compiling success stories of voluntary service, evaluation for international volunteers, conducting impact assessments of projects, and providing training courses in basic digital competencies for UPA members. However, I believe that more tasks spontaneously could come up. The UPA office is situated in Nansana, approximately 9 km from Villa Mamu in Kampala. While I've primarily been at the office thus far, I had the opportunity to visit the Mondo office in Kampala, which is also one of my potential work locations. 





During the first few weeks of my deployment, I dedicated my time to observing the ongoing projects and understanding the local way of life. Additionally, I had an orientation training by UPA and explored downtown in Kampala with a local volunteer, which included using public transport, visiting the Uganda museum, and visiting the craft market.

Now, I have started to work on my tasks more precisely. I have visited various projects with my colleague Claire, where UPA has sent volunteers. These projects include primary and secondary schools, schools for special abilities, and hospitals. To prepare for the training course on digital competence skills, I have conducted a needs assessment in three organizations so far to understand which topics should be covered during the planned lessons in May. Additionally, I am preparing tools for the impact assessment on the contribution of international volunteers to UPA projects and collecting success stories from UPA projects.

Also, I had the opportunity to visit Kikooba Infant and Primary School, which is located about two hours away from Kampala. This visit helped me to get to know the school community and familiarize myself with the area in case of any impromptu tasks.





However, learning doesn't stop after the workday ends. In the past few weeks, I've been gaining more confidence and knowledge every day. For instance, taking boda-bodas and matatus has become a new normal for me, as has going to the market and recognizing familiar faces from whom to buy fresh fruits and vegetables. I've also tried different local foods, such as matooke and posho and various types of street food (rolex, chapati, samosa, mandazi). I have begun learning Luganda, which I hope will help me communicate with the local community more easily. It took some time, but I have established a routine for my leisure time, including going to the gym, taking weekend getaways from Kampala, and finding some great coffee places.


Although there is still plenty to learn and improve upon, I'm excited for what the future holds.


 

Until next time!


Kaisa



No comments :

Post a Comment