Thursday 28 April 2022

Positive first impressions

Hello everybody! I am Felicia from Italy and I will be working as Junior EU Aid Volunteer in the education field at Kikooba Infant & Primary School for the next six months. In this adventure, I will be supported by NGO Mondo, my sending organization, and Uganda Pioneers Association (UPA), my hosting one.


Kikooba

Kikooba is a small rural village in Central Uganda, situated at 80kms from the capital Kampala. Kikooba Infant & Primary School was formed as a private school by the community to create an opportunity for the orphans and vulnerable children in the community to attend school. 


The main aim of my position is to improve the quality of education in Kikooba School and to raise awareness of the importance of education in the community as it is facing an increase of dropouts among students, especially girls. Through a sustainable approach and according to the needs of the school, teachers, and children, the aim is to: 

  • organize workshops and training for better school management and different teaching methods; 
  • accompany and supervise extra-curricular activities in the school;
  • assist with Mondo Child Support Program.

I will be fully engaged and get accommodated by the Kikooba community and in my first week of induction, I had the opportunity to meet the School Director and the teachers (image above), some members of the Kikooba UPA branch, local authorities, and my host family. I was surrounded by the students joining their last day of school before the holidays and it was the best welcome I could ever receive. 

Kikooba Infant & Primary School Teachers


Kampala, Gulu and Rwamwanja

Sunset at Villa Mamu
During this first month of deployment, I could live the chaotic energy of Kampala. In the first days, I felt overwhelmed by the noise and the smog of the capital, the heat, and the attention I received because I was the new mzungu in town, the continuous bargain you have to do for everything you want to buy. After this time of adaptation and with an open mind, I can say I received a warm welcome from the team and the locals. I already found my favorite spots in the city, my sellers' ladies at the market with who I can practice my Luganda, and a big crazy family in Villa Mamu.

As Kikooba School was closed for the holidays, I followed my EUAV colleagues on the field. 


Training of Trainers in Gulu
Ambra and Clarisse organized two trainings for the members of the UPA branch in Gulu. Using smartphones and rented tablets, the beginner's group had the opportunity to be trained on basic ICT skills while the advanced group could gain more knowledge and tips on how to train new future trainers for a sustainable approach to Mondo program. Enjoying this training while I was surrounded by amazing local art at the Taks Center was an incredible experience.

Training of Trainers in Rwamwanja
Last week of April, I was with Clarisse, Edi and Cliff (Mondo trainers) and Judith (Mondo Livelihood Programme Coordinator) in Rwamwanja. They organized 3-days-ICT training for the trainers of Finn Church Aid (FCA) who are working with refugees and host community youth in Rwamwanja Refugee settlement. It was an opportunity to share difficulties and challenges between trainers and to explore new solutions and ideas to improve their work for the next sessions.



Time flies in Uganda and I'm super excited to start my adventure in Kikooba, see you next month for the updates!

No comments :

Post a Comment