Wednesday 16 March 2022

Discovering the pearl of Africa

Hello everyone!

I am Clarisse, I am from Belgium and I am in Kampala to support the implementation of Mondo Digital Competences Program (MDCP). The objective is to increase the level of digital competences of vulnerable youth in order to improve their ability to solve everyday problem as well as achieve their personal and professional goals. 

The program manual was developed by Mondo in collaboration with Tallinn University and it comprises six modules that cover different skills such as safety, communication and collaboration, information and data literacy, etc.  It is structured in a pedagogical way that helps trainers with exercises and tips on how to give the lessons. 

Our priority target groups for this training are teachers, young refugees, youth leaders and members of the Uganda Pioneers Association. 

I am really happy to work on this project and I am convinced by the approach of Mondo who focuses mainly on training of trainers (ToT). Indeed, by training local ICT instructors, we strengthen the local capacity while making sure our activities are sustainable.



Preparation before coming

Leaving your own country to go volunteering in a place you have never been needs surely some preparation. Thanks to Mondo and the EUAV program, we benefited from different trainings before coming. We learned about the culture of our country of deployment and we also had practical skills training such as project management in the humanitarian aid sector, crisis management, intercultural awareness, etc. All modules were interesting but I found particularly relevant to meet and exchange with previous volunteers. Indeed, learning about the difficulties they faced and how they overcame them was really encouraging. 

After all those trainings, I felt ready to discover the reality on the ground!

Complementarity between two different organisations

I have the opportunity to work simultaneously for two organisations. The first one is Uganda Pioneers Association and the second one is Mondo. They both have different history and structure and I think it will be rich for me to work with both of them. 


First weeks in Uganda, need assessment and inspiration phase

The first week, UPA gave me an induction week. It was really relevant to receive all those information and to have the time to ask my questions openly. 

Then, the first month has been devoted to need assessment. I visited different partner organisation and met the staff and beneficiaries to really understand how we could work together to create an long lasting impact. I also realised how important this phase was because it will shape future actions.

I also got the chance to visit running projects and discuss with current participants. 


The friendliest people 

I must say that until now I have been very warmly welcomed by the locals and I have have been impressed by their ability to open themselves to someone they have just met. It always takes some time to adjust to a new country but it really helps when you feel welcome and supported. 

Teamwork

Last but not least, I have also been very lucky because I have the opportunity to work together with another EU Aid Volunteer. Her name is Ambra and she is from Italy. I wont say more about her because she will probably present herself on the blog as well but we will be working as a team on this project!😊





No comments :

Post a Comment