Friday 3 April 2020

A letter to Uganda

Dear Uganda,

It's been sixteen days since I entered the plane and said goodbye.

Our relationship hasn't been easy. It took me so much time to get used to you. You seemed so chaotic, dirty and dangerous when I arrived.
I struggled with your definition of love, parenting, friendship, and family.
The endless handshakes to say hello, all this chit-chatting before talking business, having to get to know the whole family first.
And you always seemed so disappointed when I told you I don't have any kids.

You called me Muzungu all the time and I hated the attention on the street.
I couldn't move freely during the night. I felt like you take away my freedom.
Uganda, you speak so many languages. How can I ever understand you? Have a conversation?
When it rained, you stopped! Nobody moved and the world came to a standstill.
Your time management was horrible.
And you failed so many times to provide a stable internet connection. Let's not even talk about electricity

You talked about god so much. I don't even go to church!

Instead of flowers, you gave me Bilharzia which will follow me the next two years.
But mpola mpola (slowly slowly) you warmed my heart and I saw the beauty in you. ️ 

Your children fill the streets with laughter. It was my favorite sound.
The fruits that grow in your garden are plenty and some of the best I ever ate.
I love the way you always smile. And boy, how you shake your hips.
Your ability to improvise is amazing and you showed me how to appreciate even the smallest things.

And guess what: I even started liking your greeting ceremony!
I never was keen on bargaining, but you made it so easy. It has become a fun game.

Uganda, you have so little and you give so much. "In Uganda we share" is a not just a phrase. You have proofed so many times that you take this very seriously.

I came to teach your people, but you have taught me so much more.

I already miss you, Pearl of Africa. Corona has arrived after I left. I see you struggle. I hope you will be fine.

Love,
Iris / Isa / Maria / Mary / Sanyu




Trying to make the goodbye as sweet as possible

She has been my flatmate and partner in crime.
We documented our feelings and struggles
in a weekly sticky-note on the fridge
.
Here I stand, I can do no other

No comments :

Post a Comment